Thursday, November 15, 2012

Counting Our Blessings

Yes, I spend way too much time on Pinterest. I love looking at different ideas. I am sure I will use every idea someday-- right? Doesn't everyone think that? So when I actually use an idea I find on Pintrest, I am really excited.

I saw a blessing jar and loved it immediately! The pin brought me  here. What a wonderful tradition. Plus the challenge this week in the Heart 2 Heart challenge is Gratefulness. Everything seemed to be pointing me to making this project.

I set out to create my family's own blessings jar. I ended up with a BIG one. I used an old fashion, one gallon mason jar.



 
I used some leaves that I had cut using the Cricut Art Philosophy Cartridge that I had left over from another project to make a stream of leaves.  I cut "Blessings" out also using the Cricut and attached it to the Burlap ribbon.  Very simple and quick to put together. I thought about adding a ribbon to the top, but I really like the look of the metal hinge.

I made it on Monday. Since then , each night at dinner we all write down something for which we are thankful.  I really thought the kids would object-- after all they are teenagers. But no. They got into it. We discussed things that might be a blessing. Little ones like enchiladas for dinner or big ones like our family and our love. We talked about being thankful for everything because not everyone is as blessed as we are with such an amazing family. The kids understood and embraced the idea of counting our blessings. When setting the table they put a slip of paper and a pen by each place setting. True it has only been 3 days. It is a start. Will there be any fuss when at Thanksgiving Dinner, we ask all the cousins, aunts and uncles, and grandparents to add their blessings into the jar? All should be well. It will be a challenge to get everyone, but we will try.



Just a few of our blessing so far.


The plan is to keep this up until the first Sunday of Advent, adding a blessing every night. I told the kids that when the Advent candles hit the table, we will take off the jar. I do like Marty's idea of having the blessings jar out all year -- adding to it whenever you think of it. That is something I will consider.

I am already thinking about the layout I will do for this -- using Flirty paper and burlap ribbon which if you read this blog regularly you know are my favorites for this season.

I'm thinking my blessing tonight will be paper, ink, and pictures!





Add caption

4 comments:

  1. What a lovely idea, and beautiful execution. I love the autumn-inspired decoration on the jar, and that your kids have pitched right in! I'm sure your Thanksgiving will be a memorable one this year. Thanks for joining the crew at H2H.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun idea! Your jar turned out really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea and I love the use of the leaves on the jar! Great job! Thanks for joining us at H2H

    ReplyDelete