Monday, November 5, 2012

Advent Calendar

I spent a fabulous weekend crafting with friends at Scrapbook U Creates weekend retreat.  Monica and Veronica offer wonderful and relaxing retreats. Check out their schedule at http://www.scrapbooku.com/class_descriptions.html. I spent the weekend working on a couple big projects, scrapbook layouts, and a few cards. Mostly, I spent the time talking and laughing with my friends. That was the part that made this weekend amazing for me. Friendships like these are a gift.

Taking a weekend away from the family and home responsibilities is difficult but well worth it. I returned home last night relaxed, happy, accomplished. I feel I can be a better mother, wife, and all around human being because I am no longer ready to snap. I truly recommend that we all take a little time away and regroup. Not sure about a whole weekend just yet, try just a day crop. Do get away and take time for yourself.

I am very happy to report that while I was relaxing I was productive. I completed the Advent Calendar offered as a kit through Close To My Heart.



The kit includes the cubby, a stamp set, 15 sheets of yardstick, a package of bitty sparkles, 2 sheets of dimensional elements, and an instruction booklet.

You do need to have ink, blocks, and adhesive which you probably have on hand already. You will also need the Cricut Artiste Collection. This cartridge cuts the card stock to make the boxes.  Also you might want a bone folder to make your folds crisp and tweezers to help place those teeny, tiny sparkles.

It took me about 3-4 hours to complete this project. I was talking with friends quite a bit though. I did it in one sitting which was fine since I was at the retreat. However, working at home, I would have probably broken up the project.

I followed the kit exactly. Doing it again, I might make a few changes. I think it needs more red. Personal preference, yes. But I like red. I think I would add a couple more cranberry boxes.


I had trouble getting my numbers centered. I am always crooked. If my project is completely straight, I had help from a friend. I tend to do things to compensate for my crookedness in crafting. I might try cutting out the shape of the number on the Cricut. Each shape is on the Artiste with the dimensions listed on the stamp sheet. Then I can stamp the number on the shape and glue it on to the box. I can make the center a different color than the box which might add a little more dimension.

Even with my thoughts of changes, I love this calendar. I'm looking forward to finding little treasures to put inside for my kids. December is getting close.

If you would like one of these kits, just click here for an online order.

Now that I have made one of these, I have the instructions for making more. After I have finished with my Christmas creations, I am planning to make another one of these but not as a calendar. I will order another cubby --  just the cubby, not the kit. Then choose papers to match my craft room. I am going to make a little cubby to store embellishments. It will sit on my desk and have easy access to buttons, brads, ribbons, or whatever I was to keep right in front of me.

Hope you have fun with paper today!

No comments:

Post a Comment